Tuesday, June 10, 2008

the first of many.

The phenomenon that is jetlag never ceases to affect me.
It's 4:00 am here and thanks to my technologically savvy cousin and his wi-fi, I can pass some of the time by writing my inaugural blog post.
My first night in Delhi would not be complete without several short power outages of course. It's not as hot as everyone has scared me into thinking. Granted, I'm in an AC room and haven't been outside in the daytime yet.

I'm the type of person who loves the idea of journaling but just can't commit to maintaining one consistent diary. I have the tendency to stop abruptly a journal just as soon as I enthusiastically start one. Over the years, I've even accumulated a collection of journals that are mostly unused except for the 10-15 entries on the first couple of pages. So why this blog then? I figure the fact that is digital and that I'll hopefully get reader responses will make it an easier/more fun process for me. A blog seems like a great space for me to reflect on my life in India while simultaneously keeping in touch with the world.

I'll be in Delhi with my family until Saturday for the AIIS orientation. I have moved to India to study Hindi and Urdu through the American Institute of Indian Studies. I'll be in Jaipur for the summer and will move to Lucknow in September. I am scared/excited as I have no clue as to what to expect. Not to mention...it's surprisingly difficult to explain to Indians here that I will be (and want to) studying Hindi and Urdu for a year. I guess it's even harder to explain because all my relatives here thought I was on the medicine track (which I was) and just assume I didn't get accepted to medical school (though I haven't applied) and need to kill time. I mean why otherwise would anyone choose to to prance around India instead of being in med school on her way to establishing a "successful" career? It's unfortunate that very few Indian people see the value in studying language (unless it's English). Most of the schools here reflect this mentality as well - my six year old cousin can write English better than Hindi. Even back in the states, our Indian relatives and family friends were mostly unable to see the value of my proposed study - as if people don't get degrees in English literature, but I suppose even these degrees are frowned upon within the Indian American community. It's all about practicality.

Anyhow, if anything, it's amusing to see the types of responses I get when I tell people what I am doing after college. Especially when my father is around - because Indian adults will invariably look at him with pity and empathy as if to say that they understand - kids today have no direction. I just get a kick out of it. It's mostly the fact that I am learning Urdu that gives our relatives and family friends a hang up... isn't Hindi enough? More on that later.
Though I am still feeling slightly overwhelmed, I am confident about the path I am taking and know that the more time I spend here, the more resolute I will be in my decision.

So here's to my new blog, one among my many new endeavors as I begin my year's stay India.