Thursday, July 24, 2008

East India!!!



Over the break I went to Kalimpong/Sikkim/Darjeeling/Calcutta and it was absolutely awesome.

Being in the first three places made me feel like I was in another country. We even got out passports stamped upon entry into Sikkim. And how cool is it to be in Darjeeling during the current momentum of the Gorkhaland separatist movement. Gorkhland flags were flying high across the area along with proposed maps. And we even stumbled across a handful of protests/prayer services. I wonder if they will get their state…I would be more empathetic to the cause if the proposed state had a slightly cooler name…seriously Gorkhaland? This trip really forced me to expand my narrow definition of India. I’ll def. write more in detail but for now just wanted to post some pictures. What a sensual experience…the scenery, food, people interactions were all very moving. I can see why spirituality (particularly in the form of Tibetan Buddhism here) flourishes in these places. One cannot help but be moved by the beauty and grandeur that is nature. And nature is in your face in Sikkim. I couldn’t help but reflect on life there. Environment really is critical to this process…granted we can create our own stimulating environment but it’s nonetheless nice to have some stately powerful mountains to get you going every morning.

Now that I am back, I am craving momos like no other. Yummy. Momos, pancakes, and bagels/cream cheese would make my life in Jaipur just grand right now.