Monday, March 23, 2009

Holi hai!


Rang barse bhige chunar vaali….that song was playing all over the streets on Holi. The bazaars started selling rang, water balloons, paints, water guns galore two days before the festival. Zehra and I took a cycle rickshaw to our friend Anna’s place in Gomti Nagar. We didn’t expect to start playing Holi until we go there, but those on the streets had other plans. Before we arrived we had buckets of wet color dumped on us. Zehra ended up looking like a character from the Willy Wonka movie. My salwar suit and orange nike bag (that I have had since middle school!) are now permanently green. I’ve been waiting for ages to celebrate festivals in India and this year has been my grand chance. Holi in Lucknow rocked! And not to mention, one of our friends had a room at the Taj so we got to go swimming at the Taj pool after playing Holi all morning! What a great day.